Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Day In The Life...with Diabetes

Blood sugar: 104

The criteria was simple. Write a blog every day for seven days about the different aspects of diabetes and how it affects your life. Sounds simple enough. I saw this on another diabetes blog, so I'm a few days behind, but better late than never...so here it goes.

The first assignment was to take the reader through a "quick rundown of an average day and all the ways in which diabetes touches it." Sounds simple until you really think about it and realize that diabetes has it's nasty little finger on every moment of your day. For instance, let's talk purses. I'm a self-proclaimed over packer and over pack everything, every day. I carry a larger purse just so I can drop my little 'bag of supplies' into it. Would I carry a larger purse if I didn't have to accommodate my diabetes supplies? I can't answer that because I don't really remember a time before having to carry the extra supplies. Sure I would leave the house without checking and making sure that everything I needed was in there, but the fact remains that I still had a bag.

There's no time for random eating...birthday cakes, while not forbidden, are a real pain in the finger. I check my blood sugar, guess at the carb amount and eat the cake...but did I guess close enough to not have to pay for the cake later? It's a crap shoot...so while I cannot run down a list of times and activities, I can safely say that there is nothing typical about any day with diabetes. Each day has it's own learning curve and you just have to cope the best way that you know how to. And each day, you just get through it. Sometimes you are fighting lows and sometimes you are fighting highs, but in the end, it doesn't really matter as long as you keep fighting.

No comments: