Monday, May 17, 2010

Making The Low Go

Blood Sugar: 103

Next up on the daily diabetes blog post...which is significantly behind like 4 days!!! The criteria calls for "your favorite way to treat a low." My favorite way to treat a low is to over-treat it apparently, because that is what I ALWAYS do. When I was young, I remember going low and stumbling to the kitchen and not being able to figure out how to make a sandwich or a bowl of cereal....Pesky lows that leave me confused and scared are my least favorite. I have a pretty decent low-tolerance and can fully function at 60, although I don't like letting it go there, but after 60 you just never know what's going to happen...You could find me lying in the kitchen floor wondering why I am there, or maybe looking at the bread and the bologna and trying to make that "thing with the bread and the bologna"...Yes, I've had that conversation with my husband.

Recently, my favorite fix is an overloaded bowl of Fruity Pebbles. I love Fruity Pebbles and I don't care who knows it, but I rarely eat them because I found that the serving size of the cereal rarely matches the serving size of the milk and the whole bowl just becomes a bitter disappointment...but when I'm low, I just pour cereal and milk until it almost doesn't fit in the bowl anymore! I also keep a stash of glucose tabs that I'm not afraid to use. A lot of people complain about the chalky taste, but I just call them candy and I'm fine. I especially like the fruit punch flavored ones from Wal-Mart and have heard that the sour apple kind found at Sam's Club is also tasty, so I'll have to check that out.

So with this kind of regimen going on, I can safely say that I have never treated a low blood sugar without a significant spike later...which is much easier to deal with now that I am on the OmniPod, but still a real pain in the butt.

No comments: