Thursday, May 20, 2010

Your Biggest Supporter

Blood Sugar: 76

Continuing in my "I'm still behind on this" style...

The next blogging assignment is to talk about our biggest supporter. My biggest supporter, without question, is my husband, David. David and I have been together since 2002 and married in 2005. He has always been just what I needed whenever I needed it. When I finally decided to take control of diabetes instead of it controlling me, he was on-board for the endeavor. I struggled through new diabetes regimens and doctors...he was right there with me. I tried being reasonable with these doctors and I tried to accommodate the expectations that they set, but it became a bigger and bigger problem. Finally I decided to try to get on an insulin pump, I was connected with a doctor that wanted me on a pump too...I learned about carbs and counting them, I learned about managing blood sugars and taking better care of myself. I figured out how many blood tests I needed to take a day to achieve the proper numbers when I went to the doctor and David was right there with me for every terrifying step of the way. I love him for it. His support and involvement has really opened my eyes to how wonderful life can be and how lucky I am. It has also given me the confidence to be supportive of other insulin-dependent diabetics, including our 2 year old niece, who was recently diagnosed. I can be a comfort to her and have a wealth of information to share with her parents! It's amazing how things work out and the paths that open up for us when we choose to see the shiny side of the coin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it, from your blog name, that you use the OmniPod. My son, Caleb, is 7 and has used it for the last 3 years and we've always been pleased with that decision.

I'm so sorry to hear about your niece. She is however, so fortunate to have you in her life.

Karin Bowman said...

Thank you for commenting! I am on the OmniPod and have been since January 2008...Love it!