Thursday, November 13, 2008

Let's Talk Needles


Blood Sugar: 385

So in my previous post, I mentioned that one of the things that I always keep on hand is a device to inject a syringe. Why, you may have asked yourself...there are many reasons. First and foremost, I am deathly terrified of needles. I hate to watch a needle go into my skin. I become quite squeamish to say the least. I've passed out on occasion and I've hurled once. So when I was young, my mom found an injector that you place a filled syringe into and then 'cock' it, place it over where you want to shoot it and push. Wa-la, you are injected without all the nasty business of watching it happen. That fear of needles caused my mother to find a solution for me and as an adult, when I decided that I wanted to switch to a pump, I had to figure out a way for me to avoid watching that needle every time I had to change my site. That fear led me to the OmniPod. I love it, I love it, I love it. It has changed my life for the better and has changed my quality of life completely. In the picture, I have a normal insulin syringe. The second syringe is the one used to fill the pod that I wear and finally the actual pod. It's quite ingenious really and has offered me a better option that using another type of 'injector'. No muss, no fuss...that's what I like.

No comments: