Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Self-Admitted Over-Packer


Blood sugar: 192

I am an over-packer. It doesn't matter what I'm packing for, I over-pack. If it's a weekend trip, I need a bag full of clothes and shoes, a bag full of stuff to do in case I might get bored, a bag for my toiletries and my over-packed insulin case. I pack an arsenal of diabetes supplies everyday. I have a system. There is a method to my madness. But on an average day, I could take care of several diabetics in a pinch and still have plenty for me. I think I have the cutest bag (picked up from the cosmetic section at Target, photo) and I have it packed so that I know exactly what I have and what I need at a moment's notice. My husband knows that if he has to save one thing from the house, make sure I have this bag! I usually pack my bag when it's time for me to change my pod. My pod lasts for three days, so I have more than enough stuff to care for myself for three days. I assume that I take 10 blood tests a day, I don't usually, but if I felt the need I want the supplies. So this is what I pack: OmniPod PDM, bottle of insulin, (3) syringes, two extra batteries, a syringe injector, (30) alcohol swabs, OneTouch Ultra Mini meter, lancing device, glucagon kit, 3 extra pods, (30) cotton balls, (30) lancets, testing strips, a zippered pouch for trash and a BioFlip, from www.stickmedesigns.com, for lancets and/or other needle trash. Is this overkill? Some think so. But my reasoning is that fear is not your friend. I think it's better to have what I MIGHT need than to not have what I DO need. So what do you pack with you everyday? I know many people have found themselves in quite the predicament at times...as have I, if you can believe it! I also know that there are a lot of diabetics out there that don't change the lancet every time or use an alcohol swab...but I do because I feel like it's better safe than sorry...am I thinking ahead and being prepared or am I over doing it?

No comments: