Friday, November 21, 2008

Trigger Finger

Blood Sugar:

So, Wednesday, I will have my second surgery to release a trigger finger. I had the first surgery in June of this year. Trigger finger is a painful tendon problem. Anyone can have a trigger finger, but diabetics that have not taken care of themselves for a prolonged period are subject to the issues of it. It usually sets in on the ring fingers...but no finger is safe from the dastardly effects of it. It starts as a popping sensation when you move your fingers. It doesn't hurt then and it just feels weird. As it progresses though, it becomes more painful and the finger can eventually 'lock' in place--which I assume would make surgery more difficult. My doc said that sometimes it will only be in the ring fingers and he may or may not have to operate on the same fingers again, but it can attack all of the fingers and that equals 10 separate surgeries. WOO HOO! Go diabetes! But in all seriousness, of all the complications that can come from not taking care of yourself, this is really minor. My first finger is good. It's a little stiff when it gets cold out but other than that it works pretty well. It doesn't ache when it's going to rain, like Grandpa's back used to! LOL!

So this is what it says on www.mayoclinic.com about trigger finger, "Trigger finger is a condition in which one of your fingers or your thumb catches in a bent position. Your finger or thumb may straighten with a snap — like a trigger being pulled and released. If trigger finger is severe, your finger may become locked in a bent position.

Often painful, trigger finger is caused by a narrowing of the sheath that surrounds the tendon in the affected finger. People whose work or hobbies require repetitive gripping actions are more susceptible. Trigger finger is also more common in women than in men, and in anyone with diabetes."

So here I am, typical diabetic recipient of the pain in the finger! So for those of you reading who have never experienced it...it starts as just a popping sensation and then it gets painful. Surgery is quick, my doc schedules 30 minutes, but says it really takes him about 7. Healing is quick, I was using my hand the next day and by the time I went back to work on Monday, I was typing like normal. Sometimes they want to treat it with steroid injections, and thankfully I got to skip all that...haven't I had enough shots in my lifetime?!

No comments: